Lymphatic drainage was developed in Europe in the 1930’s by Dr. Emil and Estrid Vodder, Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) is a safe, effective, yet gentle approach to cleansing the body’s tissues and has a detoxifying effect. It can benefit a healthy person as well as be applied to more than 60 different conditions. Scientific studies, as well as vast clinical experience have supported the effectiveness of MLD.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage Benefits
- Removes metabolic wastes, excess water, toxins, bacteria, large protein molecules and foreign substances from the tissues.
- Through its gentle rhythmical precise hand movements, alleviates pain by greatly reducing the pain signals sent to the brain.
- Releases the sympathetic nervous system, thus helping to relieve stress.
- Helps the body to heal more quickly from injuries, surgical trauma, chronic conditions and edema.
- Helps to minimize scar formation.
- Stimulates the immune system by increasing production and activity of immune cells which eliminate or neutralize pathogens, toxins and waste in the lymph nodes; reduces the chance of infection.
How Lymphatic Drainage Therapy Can Benefit You
Surgical (orthopedic, reconstructive, plastic)
- Pre-Surgical: Treatments will prepare your body by clearing fluid accumulation, detoxification, and removal of cellular debris. This will reduce the chances for infection by cleansing the tissues at the site of the future incisions. MLD also accelerates the production of lymphocytes which are small white blood cells that play a large role in fighting disease in our bodies.
- Post-Surgical: The incisions made will cut through lymphatic vessels that are crucial for carrying away excess fluid and cellular debris. These vessels will begin to regenerate in about 2 weeks. Until then, Manual Lymphatic Drainage will help to reduce swelling, clear bruises faster, and minimize scar tissue. All this will accelerate your healing time during this critical recovery phase. MLD is also preferred because of it’s gentle techniques. The light pressure and rhythmic flow of the procedure is very calming, even sedative.
Esthetic: MLD is a natural anti-aging therapy that encourages cell regeneration;
reduces scars and puffiness and refreshes wrinkled and aging skin.
Maintaining Your Health and Wellness: A healthy immune system can prevent disease, speed the healing process and benefit your overall sense of well being. MLD improves the tissue environment through detoxification, better nutrient circulation, and stress reduction.
Keeping all this in mind, it is important to find a therapist who is properly trained to do these procedures. Each area of the body requires an exact sequence of precise hand movements applied in a specific series of repetitions. MLD is not taught as general education to licensed massage therapists. Beware also of equipment and gadgets that are being used by untrained technicians claiming to give the same results as MLD. A certified therapist will have completed numerous hours of training and had to pass exams to qualify for this title. Receiving treatment from a less trained practitioner could be ineffective or even harmful.
To schedule an appointment, discuss a treatment plan or learn more about how MLD can improve your quality of life call: 631-375-0962
Lymphatic Drainage Therapy
glowing skin facial massage
Specializing in Therapeutic and Esthetic Lymphatic Drainage